We work together to continually develop and implement sustainable solutions. Through Green Thread, our environmental sustainability platform, we bring innovative and efficient solutions to life. We are passionately focused on reducing the environmental impact within our operations.
Here are just a few ways we work to make our campus more environmentally conscious:
- We purchase locally grown fruits and vegetables for our Dining Hall when possible
- Both of our cafés sell Fair Trade coffee
- The Berry Dining Hall has gone tray-less, reducing our water consumption by 140,000 gal and our food waste by 30%
- The Berry Dining Hall offers biodegradable to-go boxes
- Our cooking oil is filtered for extended life. Upon disposal, a contractor converts the oil into biodiesel
- We use CFL light blubs in some of our areas
- We use LED lighting when possible
- Dishwashing equipment built with water efficient in mind
- Partner with Berry Farms on composting
- Partner in RecycleMania
- We use ECOLAB green certified cleaning products
See more here.
Did you know Dining Services sources food from many local farmers, growers and distributors? The list changes throughout the year depending on seasonality and availability. However, here is a sampling of a few of our partners:
- Milk = Mayfield Dairy in Athens, Tennessee